100 Ways to Have an Awesome Southern Winter
The dropping temperatures here in the CSRA means that winter is quickly approaching. After such a HOT summer, it is most certainly welcomed. Winter has always been my favorite season, as it brings much joy to my spirit. The scents of Christmas, being bundled by a fire, passing on holiday traditions, and seeing children light up are some of my favorite things. Spending time with family and loved ones are truly what this season is all about. As the days get shorter and the nights get colder, it is easy to forget all of the great activities we can do as a family. Thankfully, the CSRA makes it easy to have an awesome southern winter! Instead of hibernating and sinking into those winter blues and boredom, check out our compiled list of 100 things to do this winter.
1. Visit a Christmas tree farm and pick the perfect tree!
2. Skate on Over to Augusta on Ice!
3. Make pimento cheese grits. Here is a recipe!
4. Holiday Family Fun Night at the Kroc Center! Dec 14th
5. Paint a forever holiday decoration at Artsy Me!
6. Custom design and decorate your own holiday tree out of clay at Tire City Potters.
7. Throw a caroling party! Here are some pointers!
8. Make a gingerbread house.
9. Hop on the Southstar Arctic Express Trolley Tour!
10. Roast marshmallows over an open fire and make S’mores.
11. Drink hot chocolate.
12. Make a snowman. (Here’s a recipe for fake snow.)
13. Have a snowball fight….if we get some snow…
14. Make a yule log for New Year’s Eve.
15. Buy a new toy for a child in need.
16. Drive around looking for Christmas lights.
17. Attend the 18th annual Christmas tree lighting & fireworks event at Evans Towne Center Park.
18. Sit by a bonfire.
19. Bake cookies and leave some for Santa.
20. Send holiday cards to friends and family.
21. Watch a Christmas movie.
22. Start an advent calendar and countdown to Christmas.
23. Make a list of New Year resolutions.
24. Make homemade chili and cornbread.
25. Board game night.
26. Start a new tradition with your loved ones.
27. Hang stockings.
28. Decorate a Christmas tree.
29. Sip apple cider.
30. Donate towels and blankets to a local animal shelter.
31. Go roller skating at Skateland of Augusta.
32. Knit a scarf.
33. Bundle up and go on a hike.
34. Paint a rock and hide it for someone to find.
35. Take a picture with Santa.
36. Nap 🙂
37. Wrap a Christmas gift.
38. Make dry orange slices. Tutorial
39. Spread random acts of kindness.
40. Visit a local holiday performance!
41. See a Christmas parade.
42. Take a holiday trip near the CSRA!
43. Take the family to Lights of the South.
44. Walkthrough Christmas in Hopelands.
45. The Lights at Evans Towne Park. Website
46. Put the kids to bed, grab a blanket, turn on the Christmas tree and read a book.
47. Go Tubing! Here is a list of tubing and ski places near the CSRA.
48. Have professional holiday photos taken. Here are some suggested photographers in the CSRA!
49. Bake and decorate gingerbread cookies or buy them at the Lil’ Dutch Bakery.
50. Build an indoor blanket fort.
51. Plan a 2019 spring/summer vacation.
52. Blow bubbles in the bath.
53. Make a holiday craft.
54. Make paper snowflakes.
55. Go visit Stone Mountain.
56. Bring a blanket to a local retirement center.
57. Make homemade ornaments.
58. Get wild at an indoor trampoline park. Air Strike in Augusta is great!
59. Build legos as a family.
60. Complete a puzzle.
61. Make playdough and add some holiday scents like peppermint and cinnamon.
62. Visit the library.
63. Make slime.
64. Try a new restaurant… especially if kids eat free!
65. Sit in a hot tub.
66. Paint snow.
67. Snow angels.
68. Volunteer or donate food to a local food bank.
69. Make a bird feeder.
70. Make snow gel.
71. String popcorn for the Christmas tree.
72. Learn about arctic animals and habitats.
73. Have a pillow fight.
74. Get a sno-ball at Pelicans! The Augusta location is open all year long.
75. Visit a local fairy door and leave/find a surprise.
76. Take a nature winter walk.
77. Build an igloo out of cotton balls.
78. Make pine cone Christmas trees.
79. Write a card of thanks and support to members of the armed forces, veterans and their families.
80. Hang Christmas lights outside.
81. Play Holiday music.
82. Make DIY Valentines.
83. Wear fuzzy/warm slippers or socks.
84. Drink Egg Nog.
85. Make a wreath.
86. Call a loved one.
87. Have a tea party.
88. Pajama party.
89. Hang Mistletoe.
90. Grilled cheese and tomato soup for the ultimate comfort dinner.
91. Look through old photos.
92. Countdown to midnight on New Year’s Eve.
93. Make snowmen out of playdough.
94. Have a picnic indoors.
95. Have a color contest.
96. Make peppermint bark.
97. Invite a friend/family member over for dinner.
98. Donate toys no longer using.
99. Make paper chains to decorate the house.
100. Eat a candy cane.
Looking for Some More Winter Fun?
Jessi is a stay at home mom to her two young children. She is new to the CSRA! She enjoys exploring with her family, eating good food, and making new friends.